Keep Mississippi Beautiful offers a number of resources to community groups and local governments to help with litter cleanup and prevention, beautification and recycling, including grants and cleanup supplies.
Great American Cleanup
The Great American Cleanup® occurs every spring. As the country begins to open up and Americans are getting back to spending time outdoors, it is as important as ever to help end litter across our great nation.
Great American Cleanup in Mississippi
We invite neighborhood associations, churches, youth groups and other organizations to join us for our Great American Cleanup each year. To help with your cleanup, Keep Mississippi provides Glad trash bags (while they last). To request supplies, please fill out and submit a REQUEST FORM. Following your cleanup, be sure to complete and submit a WRAP-UP REPORT by June 1, 2021. (Affiliates, please request supplies through Keep America Beautiful.) You can also find a social media toolkit and other resources on our Promotional Toolkit webpage.
Covid-19 and Cleanups
Below are resources to help with community cleanups amid COVID-19:
- Volunteering Post Covid-19 Shelter in Place Orders: Designed to help ensure Keep America Beautiful affiliates have the tools and resources to provide up-to-date health and safety resources and to minimize personal contact before, during, and after events.
- Litter Cleanup in a Covid-19 Environment: Designed to provide guidance to individuals wishing to pick up trash and litter in their community keeping safety front of mind.
KMB’s Awards Program recognizes the best of the best among our network of community-based affiliates, leading corporate partners and individual volunteers across the country who have committed to delivering cleaner, greener and more beautiful communities.
KMB is currently accepting nominations for 2021 awards, which recognize accomplishments in 2020. Nominations are due March 5, 2021. The KMB Awards Ceremony will happen in April 2021. The date will be determined soon.
KMB has three award categories:
- Individual Awards: Honors youth, educators, public officials, and dedicated volunteers.
- Partner Awards: Honors business/ industry; civic groups; government entities; and youth groups and educational institutions.
- Program Awards: Honors Great American Cleanup, beautification, and recycling efforts.
Keep Mississippi Beautiful offers grants to nonprofits and local governments (i.e. cities, counties) to expand or develop litter prevention and cleanup programs as well as beautification programs. Grant proposals are accepted on an ongoing basis. Grants only available to non-affiliates. Download the Grant Application Guidelines.
If selected for a grant, download the Grant Recipients Guidelines and Wrap-up Report. Additionally, download the KMB logo for promotional materials.
Forming a New Affiliate
If your community does not have an affiliate of Keep Mississippi Beautiful and Keep Mississippi Beautiful, we encourage you to help start one. This network offers a tested, practical way to educate citizens. Both Keep America Beautiful and Keep Mississippi Beautiful offer resources to help affiliates thrive and truly impact communities. If you’re interested in forming an affiliate, please contact Sarah Kountouris.
- How to Recycle Unwanted Medicine in Mississippi: The Mississippi Department of Public Safety has set up drop off locations around the state of Mississippi for disposal of unwanted, expired, and unused household medications
- Mississippi Recycling Coalition: This group offers grants and resources related to recycling in Mississippi.