Keep Mississippi Beautiful offers a number of resources to community groups and local governments to help with litter cleanup and prevention, beautification and recycling, including grants and cleanup supplies.
Great American Cleanup
Keep America Beautiful’s Great American Cleanup® occurs every spring, and this year it’ll be held from March 20 to June 20. The Great American Cleanup beautifies and unifies communities across the country in a grassroots spring-cleaning movement. Celebrating its 23rd year in 2021, the GAC offers structured service projects to measure changes in littering behavior and heighten awareness about the benefits of caring for the environment through organized volunteer events, employee engagement opportunities, and experiential education in communities across America. Download the 2021 promotion toolkit.
Great American Cleanup in Mississippi
We invite neighborhood associations, churches, youth groups and other organizations to join us for our Great American Cleanup each year. To help with your cleanup, Keep Mississippi Beautiful provides Glad trash bags (while they last). To request supplies, please fill out and submit a REQUEST FORM. Following your cleanup, be sure to complete and submit a WRAP-UP REPORT by June 1, 2021. (Affiliates, please request supplies through Keep America Beautiful.) You can also find a social media toolkit and other resources on our Promotional Toolkit webpage.
Covid-19 and Cleanups
Below are resources to help with community cleanups amid COVID-19:
- Volunteering Post Covid-19 Shelter in Place Orders: Designed to help ensure Keep America Beautiful affiliates have the tools and resources to provide up-to-date health and safety resources and to minimize personal contact before, during, and after events.
- Litter Cleanup in a Covid-19 Environment: Designed to provide guidance to individuals wishing to pick up trash and litter in their community keeping safety front of mind.
Thank you to all who submitted nominations for our Awards Program. We will recognize recipients on Thursday, April 8 as part of our State Great American Cleanup. Mississippi First Lady Elee Reeves will present awards on the steps of the State Capitol. If you plan to join us, please RSVP to email@example.com.
Keep Mississippi Beautiful offers grants to nonprofits and local governments (i.e. cities, counties) to expand or develop litter prevention and cleanup programs as well as beautification programs. Grant proposals are accepted on an ongoing basis. Download the Grant Application Guidelines.
If selected for a grant, download the Grant Recipients Guidelines and Wrap-up Report. Additionally, download the KMB logo for promotional materials.
Forming a New Affiliate
If your community does not have an affiliate of Keep Mississippi Beautiful and Keep Mississippi Beautiful, we encourage you to help start one. This network offers a tested, practical way to educate citizens. Both Keep America Beautiful and Keep Mississippi Beautiful offer resources to help affiliates thrive and truly impact communities. If you’re interested in forming an affiliate, please contact Sarah Kountouris.
- How to Recycle Unwanted Medicine in Mississippi: The Mississippi Department of Public Safety has set up drop off locations around the state of Mississippi for disposal of unwanted, expired, and unused household medications
- Mississippi Recycling Coalition: This group offers grants and resources related to recycling in Mississippi.
- Statewide Recycling Directory: Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality has created an interactive tool to help view available recycling programs in Mississippi by county